Monday, October 5, 2009

Ups and downs 9/27-10/4

This week was pretty low keyed with a few ups and downs, with the fat tire epic happening on Saturday I decided to take it easy this week and I only did a few short mtn bike rides on Tues/Thurs thinking I would be on the bike all day Sat, well that plan didn't work out.I really didn't feel well all week not bad enough to think I was getting sick just kinda tired, I was up early on Sat morning headed out to Vail lake the weather was nice I felt good on the start and was riding a comfortable pace not to hard knowing it was a long race, overall I was about mid pack and happy with that. I keep thing about one hour into it that I should be drinking more heed and taking electrolytes capsules but I just couldn't do it I was not bloated, the only I could drink was water.Well about two hours in I felt the the bonk starting the legs were already tired on any little hill that came up, so I tried to keep drinking but to no avail on one climb heading back to the camp ground I could feel the legs getting ready to cramp up and they did left hamstring and right calf at the same time not fun painful and difficult to get off a bike and try to stand up during this episode I'm glad nobody was close enough to witness this event it was pretty ugly.Well that ended my race I coasted back to the pit area and tried to recover, bummer I was disappointed that I could not finish.Time to reassess my plans, I think my mind is stronger then the body, these events look like fun and I think it would be awesome to be able to finish long distance races with a respectable time but I currently don't have the conditioning to pull it of right now, I don't get enough long rides in during training to improve my endurance oh well back to the drawing board.

That afternoon was fun Amandas friend Beth came over and we all headed to the driving range , Beth just bought a set of pink breast cancer awareness clubs.Beth lost the putting contest so she was buying the first round of drinks at dinner and I learned I have a wicked slice with my golf swing.Off to BJ'S we went good food and good times had by all.Once back at home we all played a few games of wii which the girls picked up last week.

Sunday the plan was to pick up Taylor at noon in Beaumont and head to Palm Desert to take Andrew out to lunch for his birthday.We went to Islands we all had a good time it was good to visit with him it seems like thing are going good, Taylor was real happy to see him. After Andrew opened his cards we headed to the mall to look for Halloween costumes no luck but but Taylor surprised us by saying she wanted to get her ears pierced today, this has been a ongoing saga for a bout a year or so.Congratulations to her she pulled it off with only a couple of tears and a few minutes of looking pretty pale, we thought she was going to pass out or get scared and chicken out again.On the way home we stopped at Dairy Queen for ice cream So this week had some ups and downs bummer about the race but good times with Andrew, congrats to Taylor for over coming her fears and Amanda for spending time with us.
Congratulations to Taylor on her ear piercings